System policy and planning is the strategic part of WA Health involved in analysing and understanding health service trends and directions, modelling and analysing health system data along with the development of health system policies, plans and strategies.
The mission is to set the strategic direction for the WA Health system to improve health outcomes for all Western Australians, through:
- consultation and partnership with government, the community and healthcare providers and managers;
- analysis of current and future clinical directions through Health Networks and other key stakeholders;
- establishment of system health goals and targets;
- demographic, epidemiological and utilisation modelling and analysis;
- development of relevant system-wide policies;
- development of a WA Clinical services framework to guide more detailed planning, resourcing, purchasing and service delivery;
- input into the implementation of policies and plans;
- work with the A/Director General to ensure leadership in innovation, advice, information and guidance on health services for mental health patients, older people, Aboriginal people; and
- advice to all stakeholders on strategic health system directions.