The South Metropolitan Health Service provides a comprehensive range of public mental health services for all ages through its community mental health services, hospitals and community health centres.
Our mental health services are guided by the Mental Health Act 2014 (external site).
For help with mental health issues
- General Practitioners (GPs) can make referrals to specialist mental health services when needed.
- There is also a wide network of non-government organisations that provide many important mental health services with assistance from the State Government.
- Information on getting help is available from the Mental Health Commission (external site).
In case of a mental health emergency
- For immediate assistance with life threatening situations call 000.
- Mental Health Emergency Response Line (MHERL): 1300 555 788
- Peel residents (free call) 1800 676 822.
The 24-hour, seven day a week triage service for Peel residents has professionals who can provide advice about mental health problems and, if needed, assist with access to mental health care.