The Advisory Committee for the Fluoridation of Public Water Supplies is a statutory committee established under the Fluoridation of Public Water Supplies Act 1966.
Who is in the committee?
The committee comprises of the following members:
- Executive Director, Public Health (Chairman)
- A staff member of the Water Corporation nominated by the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the corporation
- CEO of the Chemistry Centre or and analyst from the Chemistry Centre nominated by the CEO
- A member from the Australian Medical Association appointed by the Minister for Health (Minister)
- A member from the Australian Dental Association appointed by the Minister
- A member from the Local Government Association appointed by the Minister
What is the function of the Committee?
The committee considers, advises and makes written recommendations to the Minister relating to:
- Any proposal to add fluoride to any public water supply
- Any proposal for making, amending or revoking any regulation contained in the Fluoridation of Public Water Supplies Act 1966 (Act)
- Matters relating to the Act and its administration
What is the process for fluoridating a public water supply?
The Committee also has the ability to recommend to the minister to stop the fluoridation of a water supply. The process is as follow:
Before making any recommendation to the Minister of Health to direct a water supply to be fluoridated, the Committee will consider the proposals overall benefit to the Western Australian community, the competency and capacity of the service provider to perform the service safely and the views of the community involved. To gather the community’s views committee may conduct community meetings, postal or telephone surveys.
Once a recommendation has been made to the Minister for Health, the results of the community surveys will be available for download on this webpage.
Information about flouridation of drinking water
Visit the fluoridation webpage
for detailed information on fluoridation of drinking water.
Last reviewed: 27-06-2016
Last updated: 01-09-2016