The Department of Health and the Channel 7 Telethon Trust jointly established the Telethon-Perth Children's Hospital Research Fund (TPCHRF) to fund research projects that focus on the health of children and adolescents in WA.
The key aims of this fund are to:
- fund research that improves the health of children and adolescents
- enhance the translation of research findings into more effective health policy and practice
- contribute to integrating the research capability in universities, research institutes and health services by encouraging the development of research-policy-practice clusters.
Funding round status - Now open
Closing Date: 1:00pm, Monday 3 April 2017
Applications for research funding for the fifth round of the TPCHRF are now being accepted. Applications must be in accordance with the TPCHRF 2016 (Round 5) Guidelines for Applicants (PDF 664KB)
. The relevant Telethon – Perth Children’s Hospital Research Fund 2016 (Round 5) Application Form must be used.
Stream 1: Short-term Research Project Grants
Research projects that may be funded under Stream One are anticipated to be wide-ranging, but must address areas of direct significance to child and adolescent health.
This year special initiative funding is available for health service-led research.
Research can include basic, clinical, health service, or population health research. Research activities may include areas such as:
- public health issues of particular significance to children and adolescents in WA
- patient-focused healthcare delivery along the continuum of care for children and adolescents
- health system organisation, financing and access that impact on child and adolescent health
- emerging health risks for children and adolescents
- rural, remote and Aboriginal child health
- prenatal and neonatal care.
Project selection will be based on competitive merit. Projects can be awarded up to $250,000 and must be completed within 24 months.
Stream 2: Strategic Research Initiative Grants
Funding is offered under Stream Two for strategic innovative initiatives that aim to increase child and adolescent health research capacity in Western Australia and thereby lead to the improvement of research productivity and translational impact.
Applications under this stream may be for various activities as determined by the child and adolescent health research sector to be of high importance, but must demonstrate the following characteristics:
- nationally or internationally relevant research capability or potential in WA, and a strategic rationale for further enhancing this
- potential to enhance WA researchers’ competitiveness in obtaining national or international research grants
- capacity to establish or consolidate greater collaboration across specialties, health service providers, and/or research settings in WA
- potential for the translation of outcomes into health policy and practice in WA, including the potential for commercialisation
- a funding strategy for up to 3 forward years for the project noting that this stream is not aimed at recurrent funding and where applicable, a sustainable funding strategy for the continuation of the research initiative after the funding period.
Researchers considering applying for this funding stream are encouraged to contact the Research Development Unit to outline the general aims and objectives of their proposal prior to submission.
Project selection will be based on competitive merit. Projects can be awarded up to $500,000 and may be conducted over 3 years.
For further information please email: CMOResearchDevelopment@health.wa.gov.au
Research Development Unit