The South Metropolitan Health Service's (SMHS) Aboriginal Health Team is situated within the South Metropolitan Public Health Unit (SMPHU).
The SMPHU has five sites, located at Bentley, Kelmscott, Mandurah, Kwinana and Fremantle. Aboriginal health professionals are based at each of these sites, and the management team is situated at the Fremantle office.
The Aboriginal Health Team:
- Works with health services within the south metropolitan area to ensure they are culturally appropriate and meet the needs of the local Aboriginal population
- Provides chronic disease education through the Journey of Living with Diabetes program and the Kworpading Koort heart health program
- Coordinates and implements the SMHS Reconciliation Action Plan and Aboriginal Employment Plan
- Coordinates and implements the SMHS Aboriginal Community Engagement Model through the five District Aboriginal Health Action Groups
- Implements the COAG-funded programs, which include the Aboriginal Men's Health program, the Aboriginal Community Re-entry program, the Mooditj Djena podiatry program and the Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Officer program.
- Aboriginal Health Team
Phone: 9431 0200
Hours: Monday to Friday 8.30am – 5.00pm