New food businesses

Before selling or producing food intended for sale, food businesses in Western Australia are required to notify or register with the appropriate enforcement agency. This will be either:

  • a local government
  • the Department of Health.

The agency that the food business is required to notify or register with will depend on the location of the business and the type of produce it will sell.

Local governments are the enforcement agencies for food businesses within their districts. If you are looking at starting a food business please contact an environmental health officer at the local government (external site) where your food business will be located.

The Department is the appropriate enforcement agency for food businesses related to:

  • public hospitals
  • dairy (primary production, processing, transportation)
  • seafood (primary production or manufacturing of bivalve molluscs)
  • food business not within a local government area (Kings Park, Rottnest, State Athletic Stadium and the WA Basketball Centre).

If you intend to start a food business that requires you to register with the Department, you need to complete the following form and return it to the Food Unit:

Please return via:

  • Email:
  • Postal address: Food Unit, Environmental Health Directorate, PO Box 8172, Perth Business Centre 6849

Read more about registration of a food business.

Exemptions and fees

The Food Act 2008 provides for certain types of food businesses to be exempt from the requirements of registration.

Resources for food businesses

More information

For more information phone the Food Unit on 9222 2000.

Alternatively you can fill out a Food Unit query form (PDF 207KB / Word 254KB) and return it to

Produced by

Public Health