Tobacco sellers licensing

Important information for tobacco product sellers

In Western Australia retailers, wholesalers, and indirect tobacco product sellers are required to hold an appropriate licence.

Tobacco products cannot be legally sold until a licence has been issued.

How to obtain a licence to sell tobacco

Businesses that sell tobacco products by retail sale, wholesale or indirect sale are required to complete an application form and return it to the Department of Health with the relevant fees and supporting evidence.

Forms can be downloaded below.

What will it cost?

The following licence fees apply from 1 July 2019:

  • Retail: $286.00
  • Indirect: $289.00
  • Wholesale: $715.00

Applications for a tobacco sellers licence

Information required within an application will differ depending on the type of applicant.

Body corporate

The applicant must supply:

The application must only be signed by a director or a person authorised by the body corporate.

You may not have to provide a business names extract if you:

  • are trading using your own company name, in which case you will not have a business name
  • are a franchisee, in which case you do not own the trading name, and you will not have a business name
  • are operating from a mine site you will not have a business name for the location you require a tobacco licence.


The applicant must supply:

  • proof of identity of the person making the application, for example a motor driver’s licence or passport
  • signature of the individual making the application
  • a copy of Business Names Extract.


For an individual who conducts business in a partnership, written confirmation (provided by 1 of the partners) that the applicant is authorised by the partnership to make the application.

Incorporated association

The applicant must supply:

  • a copy of office holders on the association’s letterhead
  • certificate of incorporation.

An office bearer, such as a president, secretary, or treasurer must authorise the application.

Trustee applicant requirements

If the business name is recorded as a trust then the applicant must be the trustee on behalf of the trust.

The trustee must sign the application.

Licence applications can only be processed once all the correct documentation is submitted.

Application and renewal forms can be downloaded below.

Licence renewals

Please note there has been a recent change to tobacco licence renewal forms – these must now be signed by the registered licence holder.

Licences are valid for 12 months and must be renewed if the licensee continues to sell tobacco products.

Reminder letters and relevant information will be issued 10 weeks before licence expiry.

To ensure a licence remains valid, license holders must follow the instructions and complete appropriate renewal forms.

From 30 June 2013 renewal forms must be signed by the registered licence holder.

Display of tobacco products and smoking implements banned

Tobacco retailers are required to ensure that tobacco products, including individual packets and cartons, as well as smoking implements, cannot be seen by the public from inside or outside the premises.

Read more about the ban on the display of tobacco products and smoking implements and the requirements tobacco sellers must meet.

Enforcement of Tobacco Products Control Act 2006

The Department of Health reserves the right to take enforcement action against anyone who knowingly breaches the tobacco licensing laws.

Legislation information

Once a licence has been issued, all licence holders will receive relevant information on selling and supplying tobacco products and other requirements that must be complied with as part of the licensing scheme.

Lodging an application

Please submit your application, with all supporting documents and fees payment to:

Tobacco licensing
Department of Health
PO Box 1335
West Leederville 6901.

All other general enquiries should be forwarded to the postal address listed below.


More information

Tobacco Control Branch

For registration information on your tobacco sellers licence, or licences held by others, visit the Public Register of Tobacco Sellers Licences (external site).

Produced by

Tobacco Control Branch