The majority of patients seen are asymptomatic. However, this does not mean they are not infected. Often patients request screening or it can be offered at times when they present, e.g. for cervical screening, contraception or a well person's check.
People at highest risk include:
- sexually active young males and females who are 25 years or younger, and not in a stable, long-term relationship
- those travelling away from home
- those living in areas with a high incidence of STIs
- people who have recently changed sexual partner
- people who have multiple sex partners
- men who have sex with men
- substance users.